The Battle of Monmouth Historic Trail is not available during the months of January & February each year due to local hunting seasons.
We welcome you to hiking our trail during the other months of the year.
A few facts about the trail:
- The Battle of Monmouth occurred on June 28, 1778.
- The historic trail is about 11 miles long (a shorter version is available for Webelos dens).
- A trail medal and a patch are available for purchase by the unit leader for the hikers. The medal costs $10.00, and the patch costs $5.00.
- The trail begins at Quail Hill Scout Reservation and ends at the battle monument in front of the Monmouth County courthouse in Freehold. (It is not a loop trail.)
- The trail passes through the Monmouth Battlefield State Park. You can see artifacts from the battle at the park’s visitor center.
- Significant sections of the trail involve hiking along roads.
- All groups wishing to hike the trail must make a reservation for a trail orientation. Reservations must be made at least 2 weeks in advance. To make make a reservation, please email the Trail chairman . Please provide the unit number, number of youth and adults and the date and time you wish to hike the trail (Saturdays between the hours of 7AM and 9:30AM). Please wait for a confirmation e-mail confirming the day and time of your trail orientation.
If you have any questions, please email the Trail chairman.